Child visa is broadly divided into two categories. One can be applied while you are in Australia, while the other visa can be applied when you are out of Australia.

Child Visa (subclass 802):

Child visa (subclass 802) lets an eligible parent sponsor their child to live in Australia indefinitely. The parent can apply on behalf of a child younger than 18 years of age.

An eligible parent is:

  • an Australian citizen
  • the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen.

The child must be in Australia when the application is lodged and when the application is decided.

This is a permanent residence visa. It allows the child to:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if they are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted – after that time they will need another visa to enter Australia.

Children born in Australia are automatically granted Australian citizenship if at least one parent is either an Australian citizen or the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa. They do not need a visa to live in Australia.

Child Visa (subclass 101):

Children born outside Australia, would apply child visa (101) and must either:

  • apply for a permanent visa to live in Australia (if neither parent is an Australian citizen), or
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if at least one parent is an Australian citizen).

Adopted Children (subclass 102):

You must apply for an Adoption visa (subclass 102) rather than this visa if:

  • you want to adopt a child who is outside Australia
  • your child was adopted after you became an Australian citizen or the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa, or an eligible New Zealand citizen and that child is outside Australia.

You can only apply for this visa if the child is an adopted child applying in Australia, and they were adopted either before or after the sponsoring parent became an Australian citizen, the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa or eligible New Zealand citizen.

A child who is applying for this visa as an adopted child must meet certain requirements.